Welcome, Guest
August 03, 2020, 02:55:54 PM
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Stealing from Pack Animals disabled  (Read 141 times)

ribaldron

• View Profile
Stealing from Pack Animals disabled
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »

I'm getting the message "The creature blocks your attempt to steal." instead of being able to steal from my own pack animal.

I believe this is a side effect of going into a more Trammel ruleset.

Releasing the animal causes the contents of their pack to drop on the ground in a container you can only remove items from, so that's out.

For training purposes this is pretty rough, eligible targets being on relatively long timers, spread about the world, and subject to the admittedly recently more generous 8x8 rules.  Let's not forget - many are in town and a bit risky!

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stealing from Pack Animals disabled
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 10:10:35 PM »

Yeah It is a side effect of the Map Rule switch. We will have to try and come up with some good alternatives for it. Which may mean a bunch of not so special stealable items being stashed around the world and more stuff in dungeons then we already have. If you have suggested ideas I am open to hear them.

ribaldron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 06:37:52 AM »

For the time being you could add maybe a thieves' guild with a few different pickpocket dips, like an Apprentice, Expert, Master's, with differing levels of min/max skill, you might test that to see if it's an okay solution.

Would be pretty easy to gain skill from them though.  If something like that would be a long-term solution, maybe have different dummies tied behind a quest chain?  Go steal an item, get access to the next training room?

Or have a different thieves' guild in each city you must seek membership to?

Having a lot of stealables is also a solution like you said.  Maybe just regular stuff you could steal like an orc alchemy lab with big stacks of reagents, or a bandit smith with a few ingots strewn about, so they meet differing weight values for various levels of stealing.

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »

I have had ideas for a thieves guild based dungeon. just nothing very solid as of yet.

Aralees

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »

I think a thieves guild with a membership and quests would be pretty cool just for fun even if it wasn't the main way to train stealing. They could point you in the direction of some cool stealables.

- some ideas that came to mind - 

Something you can't just walk into off the streets and get a quest.. obviously being thieves they're not just going to have a sign out front saying hey come on in! lol you have to find their secret location or something.. like maybe a quest giver that will only trigger once you've stolen something within a city (not sure if that is even actually possible) or when you are flagged criminal maybe and he offers you a spot in the guild and tells you how to get there. Like a hidden door in an abandoned building that leads down to an underground base. Could do one or 2 per alliance. They offer stealing jobs for you to do and as you do them you get reputation within the guild and maybe a skill ball that rewards you .5 a point or something depending on risk factor, maybe the higher your reputation in the guild the better the jobs you receive? Without giving out any spoilers, there's a certain room in a human town with some decent stealables that would be the perfect candidate for that sort of job. Start out stealing the regular stuff like stacks of reagents, ingots, and stuff around towns and npc houses and then work up to stealing from guard towers and royalty and whatnot.

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:28:09 PM »

there is actually a thieves guild already. you can join the guild at the thieves guild masters. you join by saying the guild masters name + join

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 12:06:51 AM »

just to elaborate a bit more on my previous post, since there is already one that exists I was thinking I could build off of it. it wouldn't be alliance related though. however as time goes we could definitely try and create "guild" areas in each start town.

ribaldron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »

Yeah while the guild exists, a physical location would be cool for questing and just sort of that backstory feeling.

Giving skill balls for returning certain stolen objects is a cool idea.  Stealing Skill Balls specifically I would imagine, that you can't move from your inventory.  You spend time seeking out the objects,rather than just macroing, and gain in skill.

Maybe potentially a "Robin Hood" style quest where you steal from the evil, monsters, other thieves.. and return objects to their rightful owners.. for those who want to remain morally "good" but still improve their ability to steal, since a large portion of stealables are in dungeons, some of them being important.  There's a certain new dungeon with a ton of stealables which could make sense for a "return" style quest.

While still necessary for some things it's nice to train your skill to a point where you don't always need to equip your set of gear to use a skill.