Welcome, Guest
October 31, 2020, 10:49:25 AM
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Remove Trap / Trap Difficulty  (Read 823 times)

ribaldron

• View Profile
Remove Trap / Trap Difficulty
« on: August 07, 2020, 04:22:15 PM »

Boniface brought this up on Discord a few days ago and it's something I'd noticed too.  I did not put forth as much effort, as I figured my own skill was just too low and I still had a training method that was working, but it seems as though there may be some issue.

Personally, I noticed I could get it to work at a lower level on tmap chests, but Boniface put together a sizable bonus skill set for it and was unable to Remove Trap on even the beginner/new training dungeon chests with I think 140 skill, which is definitely something to look into.

Outside of just "trap difficulty" in the code, the theory was put forth that increasing the damage of the traps may further influence the difficulty rating.

I thought it best this gets put out there so it's sort of on the tracker officially, as it's been a few days.

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Trap / Trap Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 03:36:34 AM »

thanks for putting this here. I appreciate it. When I have time, I will take a look at the treasure chest code for the dungeon chests. At some point it is my intent to see if I can add a variable range to those particular type of trapped chests, so getting the remove trap working correctly with these will need to be done before I do that.

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 03:23:13 PM »

So I poked around the code relating to this and I believe I have found what is creating the issues. The code for trappable containers has code in it for trap power and trap level. I assumed remove traps worked off trap level, and damage was based on trap power. as it turns out they are more intertwined then I thought. So I think I know how to fix the issue but may take some time to work out the proper solution and work into it my changes to the trap ranges which I will want to do at the same time.

ribaldron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 02:20:22 AM »

It looks like, through testing, TrapPower is the value used for the purposes of determining the removal of the trap.  In the absence of TrapLevel, TrapPower is used directly to determine the damage.

TrapPower is damage 1:1, TrapLevel scales the damage much faster, being based on the trap type.  Explosion for instance is 10-30 damage * TrapLevel.

This is just.. kind of weird.  I guess it works fine if you're just trying to emulate the traps on live and work the specifics out from there.  Or maybe that's how it worked?  I feel like those traps did A LOT more damage, though.  Even with high resistances, you'd still be taking a heavy hit - probably in the range of 300 base dmg?

From what I can gather, you can disarm a trap if you have Remove Trap equal to (or higher than) the TrapPower.  50.0 skill vs 50 TrapPower, you have a slim chance, but will get gains at least.

So it feels almost backwards..

I'm wondering if the damage is higher than intended for some traps (and lower for others) due to this.  For fine tuning of them you could consider adding more trap types as well which could help you narrow down your intended damage range and add some risk to some of the other conventional methods of springing traps.  I'm not sure why a bolt, for instance, couldn't hit you from across the room while some of the default explosion traps have a larger radius, with tapering damage, like on Paragon chests.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:22:13 AM by ribaldron »

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 04:40:30 AM »

I have started to work on this issue. Hopefully I will have something ready for live testing in a few days.