Welcome, Guest
August 03, 2020, 02:58:56 PM
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: A list of All 8x8 Skills  (Read 936 times)

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A list of All 8x8 Skills
« on: June 02, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

Here is a list of all the 8x8 Skills. To get gains you need to move at least 8 tiles, and/or switch targets/location after you gain 0.9 in the skill being used or target something 9 times. This will vary from skill to skill. This system also remembers your targets/locations for 3 minutes. The Best way to macro these skills is in a moving boat covering large distances. If you look at the world map on the website you will notice that there are a few areas you can easily sail from and hit the world wrap without obstruction besides possible sea life. So we recommend bringing only throw away gear or supplies, incase you die.

Anatomy
AnimalLore
ItemID
ArmsLore
Begging
Peacemaking
Camping
DetectHidden
Discordance
EvalInt
Healing
Fishing
Forensics
Herding
Hiding
Provocation
Lockpicking
Magery
MagicResist
Snooping
Musicianship
Poisoning
SpiritSpeak
Stealing
AnimalTaming
TasteID
Tracking
Veterinary
Lumberjacking
Mining
Meditation
Stealth
RemoveTrap
Necromancy
Chivalry
Bushido
Ninjitsu
Spellweaving
Mysticism

This list is by no means set in stone. If you think you have a good argument for why one of these skills should not be on this list, feel free to post that argument here. It will at least be looked at by staff. If we like the argument and cant see any flaws with it, we might change it.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:03:50 PM by Bane »

kikco

• View Profile
Re: A list of All 8x8 Skills
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 05:04:44 PM »

soo i would like to say is that im big tammer soo ik how hard it is to get taming up making it 8x8 is just making someone not wanting  to do it bc not every one has alot of time to play plus its hard skill to gain in first place

anatomy its really not all of good skill only thing you get from it is some damage output and it helps with healing <-----healing it think is same as antomy other than it just lets you heal posion and stuff

discordance again liek taming is very hard skill to gain soo making it 8x8 skill gain is even harder ik it lowers stats of mobs stuff but still i mean think about it whow ants to sit in boat and gain it for hours on in esspaically bc you have skill cap at 150 with stauts deeds

plus you have tot hink on people who dont have much tiem to play wouldnt gain that much skill in the skills that are on the list.

unless im wrong but  begging and Forensics,Herding,TasteID,Snooping,Provocation,ItemID,tracking are useless skills unless there diffrent and they were made useful here no one uses them

my suggestion is to make  timer maybe little lower than 5 minutes bc who wants sit here and watch boat so you dont die i mean i get the whole risk vs reward thing.

again just my suggestion on some of these skills shouldnt be on here

LittleTree

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »

Animal taming can be train in the zoo, afk. The zoo allows you to train up to 150 raw skill.

kikco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:26:57 PM »

can i ask why this was put in place in first place ?????

kikco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 05:30:33 PM »

Animal taming can be train in the zoo, afk. The zoo allows you to train up to 150 raw skill.
sooo how can you gain taming afk if you have to move 8 tiles and you cant gain in same spot for 5 minutes

LittleTree

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 06:56:11 PM »

As stated in the original post: To get gains you need to move at least 8 tiles, and/or switch targets/location after you gain 0.3 in the skill being used or target something 3 times. This will vary from skill to skill. This system also remembers your targets/locations for 5 minutes.

It varies from skill to skill. Animal Taming remembers your same target for 5 minutes. There are multiple of the same animal in each pen to tame, so this one is not by movement but by target.
The zoo was built so that players would have a place to train taming. I have not had issues using the zoo to train taming, as this "8x8 skill" does not require movement to gain skill.
Some skills require only movement of about 8 tiles, some skills require only change in target, some skills require both.

Bane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 09:34:27 PM »

RunUO put the 8x8 skill gains into place to emulate the anti afk macro policies of osi/ea server to slow down players who would just afk macro and not play. I don't remember when exactly UO started being anti afk macro, but it was awhile ago. I haven't been on an osi/ea server in years and I've kinda stopped caring what they are doing lol.

I am open to hear cases for alterations to what is on this list. We've mainly been focusing on content and maps. So if you feel some of them should be changed feel free to share which ones and why. We will review it.

Just added this part cause I noticed I missed a post. Feel free to suggest changes besides the ones you referred to in the above post I missed. I will review your previous suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:39:00 PM by Bane »

ribaldron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 03:34:16 AM »

8x8 is OOOOOOOOLD, implemented really early, as they didn't originally have the intention that "everyone" would just be a Grandmaster.

Taming is actually pretty forgiving here as on live, you could only gain 3x on the same animal - ever - and if it had been tamed by someone else before, you may not even be able to gain off of it.  So you'd see a lot of animals named "a" and "b" in the wilds when people bothered to indicate that they'd been tamed prior.

There may be alternate ways to gain some skills..

But keep in mind 8x8 is what the system is called but many target-based skills are, well, target-based as has been mentioned.  You don't need to move, and can speed things up with more targets available.  Anatomy is one of these skills, you can get 3 gains from each target in a span of 5 or so minutes.  It's very easy to train just in combat, though.

The system helps to keep things from being completely trivialized, while you are still of course free to train unattended.

You might consider just making a new character and taking Taming to 100 with skill balls, if it's that important for you.  You can get started as a tamer immediately that way.  Either start with 0 skill and use the 100 ball on it, or 40 and use a +60.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:36:51 AM by ribaldron »

LittleTree

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »

I would also like to note that Animal Lore goes up as you train Animal Taming. In the past when I have trained taming in the zoo I have gotten Lore to GM before Taming. Since you need both for taming I usually suggest just to train it in the zoo, as the zoo has been tested many times and has gotten many players up to 150 for both Lore and Taming. We do our best to test things as much as possible before they are released to the general population of players.

kikco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 09:01:51 PM »

i do take back what i said from taming and lore it did go up pretty fast to gain tmaing i just tamed couguars untill 100 at liek 50